Percentages are essential in our day-to-day life. Percentages are fractions that are widely used in different financial aspects to demonstrate ratios and numbers. It is a comparatively easy method to measure price hikes, pay rise, interest rate, inflammation, discounts, and different statistics. “Percentage Change” is a mathematical concept which compares two values (in the form of hundreds) to define the change between them.
Percentage values can either increase or decrease. As calculating percentage increase is not an easy task, there are several formulas to calculate it. So, without further ado, let’s dive in and learn to calculate the percentage increase.
You might want to check What Is Annual Income?
How to Calculate Percentage Increase
What is a Percentage Increase?
“Percentage Change” compares old values to new values or new values to old values. It is calculated between two values or numbers to identify the changes. If the value is positive, it indicates a percentage increase; but if the value is negative, then it’s a percentage decrease.
For example, currently, the population of Bangladesh is a lot more than it was in the year 2007. But this information is not enough to measure the severity of this issue. To determine the relative scale or the rate of the increasing population, we will have to use the mathematical formula.
Percent Increase Formula:
The formula of percentage increase is as follows:
Percentage increase = [(New number – Original Number) / Original Number] × 100
How to Calculate Percentage Increase
The percentage increase can easily be measured by using the formula mentioned above. All you need to do is remember the following steps:
- The first step that you need to follow is to identify the original number and the new number correctly.
- Then, put the numbers into the formula.
- The next step requires subtracting the original number from the new number.
- Then you would have to divide the result by the original number.
- Then comes multiplying. Multiply the result by 100 and voila! The answer you get is the rate of percentage increase.
- Last but not the least, if you want to be sure whether it’s correct or not, check your answer using a calculator.
Steps to Calculate Percentage Increase over time
- To calculate the percentage increase over time, the first thing that you need to do is divide the larger value by the original value.
- Then, deduct one from the result you got from the first step.
- Multiply this new number by 100. The result you will get is the percentage change.
- Now divide this result by the difference of period time between the numbers.
- The result you get is the percentage increase over time.
Steps to Add A Percentage Increase to A Number
- The first step requires dividing the number you want to increase by 100.
- Then multiply 1% by the percentage that you chose.
- Add the result to the original number and you are all set!
Steps to Calculate An Average Percent Increase
- First, you would have to calculate all the individual percent changes.
- Then, Sum all of the individual percentages.
- Divide the result you got by the number of years, events, trials, etc and there you go!
How to Calculate Percentage Increase In A Calculator
In this era of technology, the days of doing math with pens and papers are long gone. You are only one click away to know the rate of percentage increase in your calculator. It is an extremely useful tool that saves both time and stress. To calculate the percentage increase in a calculator, you will have to follow the same formula. Just make sure that your calculator has a percentage option in the first place.
How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel
Using Excel to calculate the percentage of increases allows you to get it done in a simple yet advanced way.
Follow the steps below to calculate percentage increase in Excel:
- First, put the original value (cell A1).
- Then input the increased value (cell B1).
- Then deduct the original value from the increased value. (C1= B1- A1).
- Divide the result by 100 ( D1= C1/A1×100)
- Now select “Formal Cells” by clicking right on the final cell.
- Lastly, define the numbers of decimal places according to your wish and you are all set.
Importance of Calculating Percentage Increase
As mentioned earlier, calculating the percentage increase is essential in finance and mathematics. But it is also necessary for physics and chemistry. There are tons of mathematical concepts in science where calculating percentage increase is mandatory.
In addition, it is a great way to analyze changes and measure growth in the statistics. To solve or reduce the severity of an issue, the data of increasing the percentage rate helps in providing ideas for probable solutions. Besides, it provides us with facts that help us to think rationally and accurately.
To conclude, the percentage increase formula is one of the most vital methods used in mathematics. Although calculating this may seem a bit complex, it gets simpler with practice, and it can come in handy!