In this era of advanced technology data is an inevitable thing in our everyday life. Our work and business in day-to-day life are solely dependent on data. So, to get better at organizing and managing data people came up with the idea of data management. Data management is a process that validates, protects and processes data for its users. And an enterprise is a project that is associated with many ventures.
Enterprise data management which is also known as EDM is a vital thing for any organization. It stresses the organization’s capacity to effectively manage and create data for all enterprises. Also, it assures accurate data delivery on time. It is the process that gets on board with the business’s data. So, it is not about managing data, but managing the people too. It also ensures reliability while maintaining quality.
You might want to check What is Enterprise?
What is Enterprise Data Management?
Data is a representation of information and facts. If an organization fails to manage the data properly it will bring no good for the organization and its users or customers. Thus, the proper and effective data management system is necessary for the organization. Enterprise data management is a concept of managing data in the whole organization.
EDM covers all the factors of the data management system. From identifying the data’s to classifying them, it does everything that takes to manage data properly. It also secures, protects and archive data and delete them if necessary.
Models For Enterprise Data Management
The management of data for an organization is an unavoidable process. Thus, a lot of methods and models have been created to put EDM into a structure over time. The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) has numerous standards and policies, which deal with security, reliability, loyalty, etc.
Therefore, there are tons of rules and regulations that an Enterprise Data Management system has to follow thinking about the risk factors.
Many forms of Enterprise data
There are mainly three types of enterprise data. These are transactional data, analytical data and, master data. Enterprise data is the collection of data that floats through an organization. These data are recorded in the form of spreadsheets, databases, even in the image and video forms. Some other examples include:
- Operational data, such as different types of records, bills, and statistics.
- Network data that are used in IT sectors or by developers.
- Strategic data that analyze CRM systems, trends, reports and sources.
- Application-specific data for different sectors and companies. Such as web content for social media and many more.
The Pillars of Enterprise Data Management
- Data Integration: It is mainly used for saving time and reducing errors to make proper decisions.
- Master data management: MDM is used to remove duplicates and to verify and integrate data.
- Data Quality Management: It uses to address underlying problems and cleansing data. It also assures quality.
- Data governance: It emphasizes ethical responsibility and protects the privacy of its users.
- Stewardship: It defines and maintains the models, rules, and policies of data.
- Data warehouse: It is a platform to support decisions, intelligence, data mining, etc.
- ELT: ELT is a short form of extract, load and transform. As the name suggests it extracts data and transforms them.
Benefits of Enterprise Data Management
Nowadays, managing data properly is the main priority for most organizations. Enterprise data management can provide an organization and its customers with lots of facilities. The first thing that it does is, analyze data accurately, which is inevitable. It also helps to access high-quality data.
As enterprise data management is run under lots of standards and regulations. It assures the safety and privacy of the data. Also, it helps to make efficient data as it extracts data from many sources and transforms them. It also keeps the data all organized for the organization and the customers, which results in saving both energy and time. Enterprise data management uses data lineages that identify data and sources quickly and efficiently.
Best Practices For Enterprise Data Management
As mentioned above, it also manages people too. So it requires efficient and productive data managers to lead the team. Another practice that runs in enterprise data management is that they educate their teams emphasizing the importance and criteria of the customers.
It catalogs data and prioritizes security. Improving data with the team members is another important practice that runs in EDM.
To conclude, enterprise data management plays an important role in our daily life. It only aids us by protecting our data but also assures customers with a sense of security and privacy.