Management and administration may sound identical to you; indeed, they are far distinguishable from two different entities. Where management can define as the procedure of accomplishing the targeted work from others, the administration can be defined as the procedure of administering the enterprise entirely.
This suggests that management is a managerial function; on the other hand, the administration is the function that decides how to manage the enterprise. That explains the administration takes all the planning and execution decisions of an enterprise. Subsequently, the management performs the executing and governing processes according to the decisions taken by the administration.
It is very certain that both the aspect plays a vital role in the smooth running of an organization. Therefore, it expects that everyone should know the distinctiveness of management and administration. For your better understanding, we have gathered up all the information about them along with a distinction-segment of management versus administration.
Management VS Administration
What is management?
Management is the task of supervising employees and their performances to reach a predetermined goal. A panel of employees is established to oversee the management of any organization. They ensure a professional level yet friendly environment where managers and their subordinates can work effectively to achieve the goals of the organization.
Thus, management is an activity that involves leadership, organization, coordination, control, motivation, discipline and execution. Given that, management deals with the 5Ms of an organization which are Men, Methods, Material, Machines, and Money. So in one sentence management can define as a result concerning action. Which dedicate to achieving the desired output of the organization in question.
What is Administration?
The administration is the task of planning and determining a goal along with the approaches to reach that goal. Every institution or business has an administrative panel to undertake the necessary decisions for the progress of their organization. They decide together on the operating strategy to establish their organization.
Administration involves the formation of objectives, policies, rules, and regulations, plans and procedures, and of course determining the goals. Administrative panel forecast about the requirement to establish their organization, and then set plans accordingly. So in one sentence administration can define as the role of defining a framework for operating an organization.
Distinctions between Management and Administration
From the definition of management and administration, you now know that they are not the same entity. Below we have compiled a distinction-segment of Management and Administration, to properly explain their differences to you.
- Administration can be defined as the responsibility of a panel of employees to administer the entire organization. On the other hand, management is the skill of managing employees and their performances only.
- The administration sector includes strategic planning for operating an organization. Whereas, the management sector is concerned with executing these plans to operate the organization well to receive maximum output.
- The administration sector determines the target or goal of that respective organization. The management sector, on the other side, works accordingly keeping all the organizational factors in mind to reach that target/goal.
- The administration sector has the authority over finance. However, the management sector has no such authority. They are only allowed to make the best use of this set budget and work within the preset financial frame.
- The administration sector’s responsibility is to make sure that the organization can run effectively. On the other hand, the management sector’s responsibility is to make sure the employees of that organization are trained, promised, and motivated to do their job.
- The administration sector is the top-level responsibility of an organization. Whereas, management is the sector of the midlevel employees.
- The administration sector emphasizes ensuring the best use of the organization’s resources. On the other side, the management sector only emphasizes the management of employees and their performance; it does not concern itself with the resources of the organization in question.
- The administration sector sets the policy of an organization and the management sector works on these policy implementations. It works like a step by step process in the organization without the two interfering with each other.
- The administrator panel takes the responsibilities of all administration related tasks of an organization. Whereas, the managers of a company perform all the management related tasks.
- The administration sector of any organization plays a decisive role; on the other side of the coin, the management sector plays an executive role.
- The administration sector of any organization involves enactment and determination. The management sector, on the other hand, deals with governing and executive functions.
- The management sector can take some decisions but under the confinements provided by the administration sector. The administration sector, however, does not face any such constraints. This sector can take any necessary and time appropriate decisions at any time keeping the betterment and improvement of the organization in mind.
- The administration sector mostly comprises with the owners of that respective organization. On the other hand, the management sector of that organization comprises a group of employees who are recruited by the administration panel.
- The management sector requires abilities concerning human relation management. On the flip side, the administration sector requires administrative qualities.
- The administration sector draws the framework of the organization and the management sector follows that framework to reach the organization’s desired goal. The management sector cannot deviate from this framework without the approval and authorization of the administration sector.
In conclusion, once you read this article, you can catch the key difference between management and administration. One is related to defining the policies and strategies of the organization and the other is the implementation of policies and strategies to bring the organization to its goals. Thus, it manifests that the administration sector is above the management sector.